If you are not a lover of fried green tomaters! Well, I hope this easy recipe will convert you to the other vine. Fried Tomatoes were a staple in our home growing up. Whether it be an appetizer, side item or entrée complimented with seasonal veggies or mac & cheese. I am no stranger to the crispy circles of heaven.
I remember the first few times I had them in ‘The Real World’, thinking to myself . “What is this balsamic reduction? Why tomato salsa on top of FGT’s? Tasso Gravy!, What the hell? But now that my palette has matured beyond that of a 3-year old. I love those extras. They enhance the flavor and make them even more irresistible.
Fried Green Tomatoes with Granny Smith Apple Salad
3 Green Tomatoes
1 c. AP flour
1 T. cornstarch
1 T. kosher salt
1 T. chopped fine oregano
1 tsp. white pepper
1 c. buttermilk
1/4 tsp. cayenne
Mustard Mayonnaise Sauce
3 T. Mayo
3 T. Grey Poupon
2 T. Sour Cream
1 tsp. salt
Granny Smith Apple Salad
1 ea. Granny Smith Apple (Fuji,Gala,Golden Delicious)
2 c. Arugula
2 T. Green Onions chopped
1 oz. Balsamic Vinegar
1 oz. Vegetable Oil
salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat 1.5 c. of vegetable in a cast iron skillet on med high heat.
2. Whisk together buttermilk, egg, and cayenne. Transfer to an 8×8 casserole dish. Set aside.
3. Combine flour, kosher salt, white pepper, oregano and cornstarch together.
4. Slice tomatoes 1/4′ thick or to your likeness and place in buttermilk mixture
5. Check to make sure your oil temp is up to 350. Once temp is reached turn heat down just a bit. You don’t want to burn your next batch of maters.
6. Using tongs place up to three tomatoes one at a time in oil. Allowing to cook about 90 seconds each side. or until golden brown.
7. While cooking tomatoes. Slice your Green apples however you desire. I like thin slices for even distribution. Place Arugula, apples, green onions, oil, vinegar, s&p (to taste) in a bowl. Toss gently with tongs or clean hands until everyone is dressed and happy!
8. Allow tomatoes to rest on a paper towel lined plate to release excess grease. Take a bite of a tomato to taste for any more necessary seasoning. Enjoy!